[ale] OT: XMLHTTP + IE

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Thu Dec 14 23:27:01 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> It appears that the alarm_check.pl program is never called.  I've got
> the program dumping to a log file when it is executed and I see that log
> file updated every 2 seconds when I access this page in netscape.  In
> Windows I see nothing.  I've used alert() to validate that we are
> getting to that part of the code so I know req.open() is getting called.
> But nothing is happening.  Apache log files also show no attempt by IE
> to "GET" the alarm_check.pl program.  No JS error messages in IE either.

Here's the code I've used when testing using javascript to pull pages from the server.
It's mostly borrowed from someplace I found online, I forget where. The "getStatus"
function is what gets called from the html page. Maybe you can compare the code and see if
there's something obviously different that would cause a problem.

-----

* Open a connection to the specified URL, which is
* intended to respond with an XML message.
*
* @param string method The connection method; either "GET" or "POST".
* @param string url The URL to connect to.
* @param string toSend The data to send to the server; must be URL encoded.
* @param function responseHandler The function handling server response.
*/
function xmlOpen(method, url, toSend, responseHandler){
   if (window.XMLHttpRequest){
     // browser has native support for XMLHttpRequest object
     req = new XMLHttpRequest();
   } else if (window.ActiveXObject){
       // try XMLHTTP ActiveX (Internet Explorer) version
       req = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
   }

   if(req){
   req.onreadystatechange = responseHandler;
   req.open(method, url, true);
   req.setRequestHeader("content-type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
   req.send(toSend);
   } else {
       alert('Your browser does not seem to support XMLHttpRequest.');
   }
}

function getStatus(){
   xmlOpen("GET", "http://jayloden.com/cgi-bin/somescript.cgi", null, myHandler)
   return true;
}

function myHandler(){
   //write something to the page or whatever
}