[ale] OT: XMLHTTP + IE

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Dec 14 17:05:23 EST 2006

I saw the article in LJ 11/06 in regards to AJAX + Caller ID.  I decided
to use the code to test and idea that I had with our system.  I wrote a
simple CGI program that will get the last key out of a row in a database
table.  The java script will use that key to check to see when a new row
is inserted.  When a new row exists it will automatically refresh the
page.

This works great in Netscape but fails to work in IE

Here is where I'm having a problem:

function get_from_server() {
  var req;

  if(window.XMLHttpRequest) {
    req = new XMLHttpRequest();
  } else if(window.ActiveXObject) {
    req = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
  }

  if(req != null) {
    req.open("GET", "/SC/Test/alarm_check.pl", false);
    req.send(null);
  } else {
    alert("Your browser does not support XMLHTTP!");
  }
  return req;

}

It appears that the alarm_check.pl program is never called.  I've got
the program dumping to a log file when it is executed and I see that log
file updated every 2 seconds when I access this page in netscape.  In
Windows I see nothing.  I've used alert() to validate that we are
getting to that part of the code so I know req.open() is getting called.
But nothing is happening.  Apache log files also show no attempt by IE
to "GET" the alarm_check.pl program.  No JS error messages in IE either.

The JS code is at:  http://buford.linxdev.com/Alarm.js  Maybe someone
here knows of something I should have done.