[ale] What'v'I got with SuSE-10.1 'XEN' boot option

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Dec 12 15:49:01 EST 2006

John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I installed SuSE-10.1 and I notice an interesting boot option in the GRUB
> menu: 'XEN'. It supposedly starts up a kernel '/boot/xen.gz' with two
> "modules": '/boot/vmlinuz-xen' and '/boot/initrd-xen'.
>
> I expect I checked 'yes' somewhere in the installation to get this setup,
> but don't recall where.
>
> What is this option and what can it do for me? The question isn't entirely
> academic: I'm setting up another system where I would like to run a legacy
> Linux (based on RH-7.3) as a virtual OS on that machine. Am I looking at a
> useful tool for that purpose here on the SuSE boot screen?
>
> TIA.
>
>  - Mills

I've had zero luck getting Xen to work with anything other than SuSE
10.1.  I've tried recompiling for Debian, CentOS, FC4 and even SuSE
10.1.  The folks are about as mean on the Xen mailing list as they are
on the perl news group.  If you don't know the answer already, don't
bother asking.  And for heaven sakes don't ask a question like "How does
this work?  I think It works like this ...."  They'll lambaste you for
wasting their time since you already know how it works.

What comes with 10.1 works OK but that means you'll just be able to boot
multiple copies of SuSE 10.1.  I even tried to use the

vmlinuz-xen

as a kernel for the other systems, but wasn't able to get a working
initrd for them.

I hope you have better luck.

Jim.