[ale] What'v'I got with SuSE-10.1 'XEN' boot option

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 12 15:19:06 EST 2006

ALErs -

I installed SuSE-10.1 and I notice an interesting boot option in the GRUB
menu: 'XEN'. It supposedly starts up a kernel '/boot/xen.gz' with two
"modules": '/boot/vmlinuz-xen' and '/boot/initrd-xen'.

I expect I checked 'yes' somewhere in the installation to get this setup,
but don't recall where.

What is this option and what can it do for me? The question isn't entirely
academic: I'm setting up another system where I would like to run a legacy
Linux (based on RH-7.3) as a virtual OS on that machine. Am I looking at a
useful tool for that purpose here on the SuSE boot screen?

TIA.

 - Mills