[ale] Keyboards

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:21:13 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>         Got an easy, even if slightly off-topic question for you.  Can anyone
> recommend a GOOD keyboard?  Regular key configuration, window keys
> optional, really prefer no multimedia keys.  USB with a converter to PS2
> if possible, if not, PS2.
>
> Thanks
>
> Calvin...

What's your budget? And how do you define GOOD?
You mention no multimedia keys; what about the following features:
- macro/programmable
- compact (84-key) vs. full (101-104-key, includes numeric keypad)
- pointing device (ball, pad, stick)
- extra function keys (113-117-key)
- "clicky" keys
- blank keys
- color
- whiz-bang features (backlights, etc)
- ergonomic features ("natural", split, other options)
- durable/spill-proof

The best keyboard is the one that feels good _to you_ and has the
features _you_ like and use and fits your environment and budget. I've
even had good experiences even with the free-after-rebate keyboards
that are more or less disposable. I love the old IBM Model M buckling
spring kbs, but can't justify the cost today.

-A