[ale] vmware ESX Server

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 14:31:45 EST 2006

VMware is a highly customized edition of Linux - which is one reason why the
free host-based Server edition run well inside Linux (more so than under
Windows). We run it at school to hold our domain controllers and exchange
servers and active directory controllers

Warren

On 12/8/06, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

>  Haven't played with vmware.  A Windows Admin here is tasked with
> installing this.  What he got (ESX Server) seems to be rpms etc? which
> implies it is a Linux load.  From what I can tell of a document he has I
> believe he needs to boot from CD and it actually loads a base operating
> system (Linux) rather than is something he loads on top of an existing
> installed OS (Linux or Windows).
>
> Is this correct?   Any pointers?   (Note ? we're not creating a virtual
> machine yet ? just trying to get the server software insalled.)

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2