[ale] Mounting FTP?

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Tue Dec 5 22:49:58 EST 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:

> I am trying to backup my wife's windows box using rsnapshot, and the
> simplest solution is to mount it on my linux box (unless someone has a
> better suggestion?)...However, mounting via ssh (i'm using freesshd on
> the windows box) doesn't seem to work right.
>
> Can I mount FTP? and how?

You can. Take a look at http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/. Instead of
running ftp, have you considered using Windows built-in file sharing and
smbmount? Yet another approach would be to run the rsync daemon in
Windows; see http://www.brentnorris.net/rsyncntdoc.html .
> Different question, same problem, I am running the lastest Ubuntu and in
> gnome under places (connect to server) it seems like I can create all
> sorts of mounts?  are they really mounts?  If so, where are the stored?
This is GnomeVFS. Like kio-slaves, they aren't really mounts and
applications must be coded to support them. It looks like a
cross-desktop standardization effort is going on at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdvfs

-Brian