[ale] vFAQ: Good distributions on Dell D610 laptops

Katherine Villyard villyard at comcast.net
Tue Dec 5 02:57:22 EST 2006

Brian D. Pitts wrote:
> *Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org <mailto:ale at ale.org>> on Mon
> Dec  4 2006 at 23:28 -0500 wrote:
> *You're the only person I've ever heard say that the GUI install is
> faster.  My experience is the opposite.
>
> For me it's roughly 15 minutes with the live-cd installer
> (http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/bzr/ubiquity/ubuntu/doc/README
> <http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Ecjwatson/bzr/ubiquity/ubuntu/doc/README>)
> versus an hour with the alternate install cd.

I've used the live CD twice, both on my boyfriend's hardware.  Granted,
his desktop is old, but his laptop is relatively new.  Both times I
bailed around the "partition your hard drive" screen and burned an
alternate install CD instead because it was so horrible and slow.

On my own hardware, I've always used the alternate CD.

Katherine