[ale] Ubuntu questions - [was: vFAQ: Good distributions on Dell D610 laptops]

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 11:20:44 EST 2006

John Mills wrote:
> KB -
>
> Thanks. That brings me to another question:
>
> I see 'ubuntu' downloads its installer as a single CD. Is it then usual to
> go through a net installation to end up with a usably complete setup? If
> so, is the net procedure automated?
>
> I also see some DVD downloads for 'kubuntu'. What are the 'pros' and
> 'cons' of 'ubuntu' and 'kubuntu', and CD vs. DVD installations?

although not an Ubuntu expert, i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express (and
installed Ubuntu on a friend's Toshiba laptop while there).

the single cd has a feature to "install to hard drive".  i liked it,
except for the root password thing.  it seems that everyone is in the
"sudo" group.  that said, i have no problem with it as an everyday
personal machine.

afterwards, then we changed the sources and ran wild with downloading
more goodies from the internet.

the net procedure has a GUI interface if you want.  true Ubuntu folks
will be able to help you there, i'm still a Debian guy so i apt-get from
the terminal.  thankfully Ubuntu is Debian based so i can maneuver
fairly easily around everything.

Ubuntu = default Gnome desktop
Kubuntu = default KDE desktop

i have switched to the Gnome desktop and have no problems with running
my few KDE apps therein.

i don't see any reason to get the DVD versions unless you don't have a
system connected to the internet.  since i change my sources and load my
preferred programs, i always go with the smaller of the initial downloads.

after you load Ubuntu check out:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/