[ale] OT was software modems

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue Dec 5 10:24:07 EST 2006

I at one time worked for Noble Systems here in Atlanta. They made
systems for the telemarketing industry. This was right at the time the
Feds came down on the industry and mandated that all conversations had
to be recorded. We used digital voice recording of the entire
conversation. Once the victim er customer showed interest the system
would automatically record based upon how the operator input to a
scripted program at the terminal. These files would later be archived to
CD-Rs. Once the recording started the operator had no way of stopping it
until the completion of the call(hang-up). This also prevented at least
the operators from "doctoring" the DV file creation process. The files
also were owned by root with no access by the telemarketing staff.
Situations where the staff had root access the files were owned by some
other "special user" that they could not access, so again no "Doctoring"
of the files after the fact. If memory serves me correctly this was
specifically spelled out in the laws of the time (about '99). If not
adhered to the telemarketer as well as the system mfg. could be held
responsible in violation of it, if challenged by a customer.