[ale] 0.15c an hour

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Dec 5 09:11:13 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I think a lot of us keep our computers on 24x7 and do not realize what
> the costs are.  My wife just pays the power bill each month.  I don't
> even know how much the bill is.

I am absolutely certain that the cost of running a computer for
a month continuously is just statistical noise in comparison to
the cost of, say, cooling the house the computer lives in. I have
eight machines in my house that are on pretty much all the time.
My power bill goes from about $50/month in the winter (I have gas
heat) to about $170/month in the summer when the A/C is in play.
Those numbers have been approximately constant over the past
few years, while the number of always-on computers has gone from
2 in Y2K to 8 today.

-- JK