[ale] software modems

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:40:55 EST 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> There is also
> a utility, I forgot the link, you can download that and it will give you
> all the info you need about the modem installed in the system without
> having to crack it open.
Scanmodem, at http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz .
Gunzip it, make scanModem executable, then run it as root. The output is
written to a new directory named Modem. Hopefully that will tell you
what to do to get your current modems working.

If you have to purchase but don't have the funds to get real hardware,
I'd look for an Intel 537-based softmodem. Partially open source drivers
are available for i586
(http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1230)
, and they work with the zaptel drivers
(http://linuxgazette.net/120/smith.html). If you need PPC support, get a
conexant-based softmodem and buying the driver from
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

-Brian