[ale] very slow web browsing in Ubuntu (Dapper) and request for help

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 15:28:03 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 10:52 -0500, Philip James Smith wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I'm sort of new to Linux, and have been using Ubuntu for about 8 months.
> Web browsing is extremely slow... slower than dial up, although I have
> 386kbps 'broadband' service. I have compiled the Ubuntu kernel, and made
> tweeks to Firefox and my system to disable IPV6 service. I've posted my
> problem at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1835442 and have
> had some welcome advice... however, web browsing is still extremely slow.
>
> I've wondered if slow web browsing a well-kept linux secret!
>
> Is there somebody out there that can help me or steer me into the right
> direction to get my browser to work quickly. I don't want to go back to
> the death star.

:-)

OK, first:  Have you ever messed around with your about:config settings?
If the answer is yes, then I suggest you remove your
~/mozilla/firefox/*.default/prefs.js and restart firefox.

If you haven't ever messed with your about:config, now is the time to
begin. :-)

Open up Firefox and put "about:config" in the URL box, then hit enter.
In the "Filter:" field type this text "network.prefetch-next".  When you
see that entry, double click it to change it to "false".

Now browse to your previously slow websites and see if things have
improved.

hth,

-Jim P.