[ale] very slow web browsing in Ubuntu (Dapper) and request for help

Philip James Smith philipsmith at alumni.albany.edu
Sat Dec 2 10:52:09 EST 2006

Hi Folks:

I'm sort of new to Linux, and have been using Ubuntu for about 8 months.
Web browsing is extremely slow... slower than dial up, although I have
386kbps 'broadband' service. I have compiled the Ubuntu kernel, and made
tweeks to Firefox and my system to disable IPV6 service. I've posted my
problem at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1835442 and have
had some welcome advice... however, web browsing is still extremely slow.

I've wondered if slow web browsing a well-kept linux secret!

Is there somebody out there that can help me or steer me into the right
direction to get my browser to work quickly. I don't want to go back to
the death star.

Thank you,
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA