[ale] OT: device discovery

David Hamm ale at spinnerdog.com
Fri Dec 1 17:24:23 EST 2006

Hi,

I have a device that runs Linux and is to be delivered into environments that
have little or no technical resources, DHCP may not be running either so I
need a way of "discovering" the device regardless of it's IP address.

One technique is to maintain an alias on the interface (IE 172.16.*.*) and
temporarily ad an alias to the system on which the "discovery" will be run.

Can anyone suggest a more elegant method?

Ideally the "discovery" application would allways find the device, obtain it's
IP address and take the necessary steps to establish communications.