[ale] Internet access under Linux

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Aug 31 08:52:04 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 21:55, Ken Arromdee wrote:

| Right now I'm using dialup. ?It's about time to move on. ?What DSL or
| other types of providers are good for Linux users?

I have been happy with Speakeasy -- and I am a non-geek running Linux.
Their tech support is in this country and they don't waste your time running
through stupid scripts.  I had a DSL box die a few weeks ago and they sent
out a replacement that afternoon.  Turns out their shipping point is in
Duluth so I had the box the next morning.  When I couldn't get the thing
to work right out of the box I called tech support and the technician
figured out what I had to do in seconds -- and he was right. They provide
me with a fixed IP address and have no problems with the home network
behind their DSL bridge. The technical support staff assumes everybody
has either a Winbloze box or a Mac, but they are comfortable dealing with
the Unix/Linux command line.  I have been totally satisfied with their
support and service.
Needless to say, nearly every other problem I have had has been with BS
and the "last mile" of copper wire.

Sean

Sean