[ale] [Fwd: James Gosling will be speaking at the Sept. AJUG meeting]

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 18:18:24 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 15:47 -0600, JK wrote:

> Amen, brother!
>
> Though "expensive" is a relative term. K&R goes for about $45
> nowadays, and not every budding programmer can afford even that.
> Don't even talk to me about the prices of Lisp books.
>
> Incidentally, safari.oreilly.com is a really nice deal, if you
> can come to terms with reading books online.  $20/month gets
> you access to essentially all of the O'Reilly and Addison-Wesley
> catalog, plus some other publishers that escape me right
> now. Sure, thats $240 a year, but I could probably only
> actually afford to *buy* five of those books for that
> amount. You also get really nice discounts on paper
> copies.

Someone just told me about O?Reilly?s Safari service, and that seems
very cool.  It looks like it is a much better deal than Books24x7.com,
which I used to have access to as an employee somewhere in the past.  I
think that I am going to have to try out Safari next Pell check I get? I
could probably make very good use of it.  :-)

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad