[ale] [Fwd: James Gosling will be speaking at the Sept. AJUG meeting]

Rev. Johnny Healey rev.null at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 17:14:17 EDT 2006

On 8/30/06, Step <random4444 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You've hit on a big problem: how the heck do newbies know where to get
> good code examples?  The only relatively safe approach I can think of is to
> buy expensive books, but even that doesn't approach a guarantee.  The other
> option is to hang out in IRC or sitepoint.com or something and ask people,
> but then the person who doesn't know any better has to wade through people's
> opinions and try to make a decision on something they're not qualified to
> understand....ah well, so much for the information age.  ;)

Price has nothing to do with the quality of computer books.  Usually the
best gauge is age.  Books that still have staying power after 20 years are
generally a safe bet.  You'll easily learn more from SICP, K&R C, and
Programming Pearls (not a typo) than from any titled "idiot's guide to $X
for dummies in 24 hours".