[ale] [Fwd: James Gosling will be speaking at the Sept. AJUG meeting]

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Aug 29 14:05:49 EDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Chris Farris wrote:

> Half way through the presentation, when he pauses and says nothing for
> like 5 minutes, don't worry, its just the garbage collection routine
> running.

Laughing my ass off..

I just reduced a stack of 14 servers, 6 of which were running Tomcat..
Java/.java/.class and .jsp pages plus 3 PostgreSQL database servers....
setup and coded by several PhD's..

To a single Dual 600mhz PHP/MySQL server.. and it works better and handles
more load and is MUCh easier to write code on/in..

Java has it's uses and area's it excels in.. I'm sure.. somewhere..
but basic web content creation management and user interfaces is
NOT it's strong point.