[ale] Reasonable tempatures

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Mon Aug 28 16:35:46 EDT 2006

Greg

I take it the units you are using are Fahrenheit?  If so, the numbers
are not way out of line.  That's 71 deg C.  I would double check the
heat sink seating and grease.

A lot of designs run a high TsubC (upper 60's) to drive heat into the
sink.   If you can find the model of P4 (several run at 3.2) we can find
the data sheet to be sure.

The only concern is that in the BIOS you are not exerting a significant
load, and the temperature will be low as you observe it.

My experience is that these kinds of symptoms are generally memory or
power supply related.

If those don't fix it, I would then swap out the proc and planar board.

- Jim

http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/guides/30255304.pdf provides
good background on how designers are to provide for the heat-transfer,
and explains how the "throttling" occurs that protects the processor.