[ale] Editing perl in a textarea

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Aug 28 10:39:46 EDT 2006

Totally strange request.

We currently offer a way to allow our users to upload scripts to the
database and edit those scripts via a simple <textarea>

Screen Shot:
http://buford.linxdev.com/edit.png

Things like tab do not work because on the browser they take you out of
the edit window.

One idea is to have a textarea that uses JavaScript be a better editor.
What would be really nice is Syntax highlighting.  I've seen some
examples on the web but they are for Rich Text Editors.  Scripts are
written in Rich Text.

Anyone here have any neat ideas I could implement to make the <textarea>
a better editor?  I was not intending on ppl using it often but myself
has used it quite a bit.  I have an interest in making it better.

The system supports storage of Perl, Python or Other.  All those types
do is to give a hint to the master execution script of what type of
script it is.