[ale] setting up WP sandbox on Ubuntu...

Step random4444 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 12:49:35 EDT 2006

The ps output:

Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
32546 pts/1    S      0:00 /bin/sh /opt/lampp/bin/mysqld_safe
--datadir=/opt/lam pp/var/mysql --pid-file=/opt/lampp/var/mysql/step-
desktop.pid
32579 pts/1    Sl     0:00 /opt/lampp/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/opt/lampp
--datadir =/opt/lampp/var/mysql --user=nobody
--pid-file=/opt/lampp/var/mysql/step-desktop .pid --skip-locking --port=0
--socket=/opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock
26093 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep mysql

I'm a little familiar with ps from running embedded qnx at work, but
couldn't get it to do what I expected here.  Is that because of the
difference between a monolithic kernel (ubuntu) and a microkernel (qnx)?

Anyway, I did set a mysql password when I first started it.  I think on the
first install I didn't install it as root, just as my normal user.  I tried
my root password, but continued to get the socket error, so I tried
successfully "sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop".  I still get the same ps output
though:

step at step-desktop:/$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
Password:
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
step at step-desktop:/$ ps -ax | grep mysql
Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
32546 pts/1    S      0:00 /bin/sh /opt/lampp/bin/mysqld_safe
--datadir=/opt/lampp/var/mysql --pid-file=/opt/lampp/var/mysql/step-
desktop.pid
32579 pts/1    Sl     0:00 /opt/lampp/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/opt/lampp
--datadir=/opt/lampp/var/mysql --user=nobody
--pid-file=/opt/lampp/var/mysql/step- desktop.pid --skip-locking --port=0
--socket=/opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock
26921 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep mysql

At this point I had more notes in here, but one of my daughters killed the
powerstrip to that computer....  Basically I used the killall script, and it
appeared successful, as in the ps command didn't show any mysql processes
except the grep process (if I understood it correctly).  However I still get
the warning about bad ps syntax.   I still couldn't log into mysql as root,
getting the socket error.  So I tried Bj?rn's instruction to delete the
.sock, and got an error that something didn't exist (don't remember exactly,
this is where I stopped and then had the computer restarted accidentally).
I was about to restart anyways, so not a complete loss.

I'd like to use phpadmin, the problem is when I try and launch it Firefox
offers to save a "phtml" type file.  However, when I go to
http://localhostit works fine, showing me the XAMPP page and letting
me click around.  Only
when I click "phpmyadmin" does it fail, it even lets me access
phpsqlliteadmin (or something like that).

This brings us back to XAMPP, which is supposed to be the easy way to get WP
up and running:  http://rumore.hu/?p=267,
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
.
I think where I messed up was trying to uninstall stuff so it didn't
conflict with XAMPP.  It looks like XAMPP installs everything under
/opt/lampp, so it's easy to remove as well as keeping separate from
everything else.  I don't know, though, where mysql fits into this.  At any
rate, I'm open to removing everything and starting over if that's the most
straight-forward path.  The question is how to make sure I get everything
removed.  I also didn't want to spend a couple more hours/days doing that if
I'm only a few configuration changes away from running smoothly. ::grin::

So I looked up grep, and now I have a better idea what that does, though I
imagine it will take me awhile to learn how to properly and efficiently use
it.

Now that the computer's running again (and daughters kept away (: ) I ran
another ps, and the mysqld processes are started up again:
step at step-desktop:~$ ps -ax | grep mysql
Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
 4777 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
 4841 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr
--datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
--skip-locking --port=3306 --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
 4842 ?        S      0:00 logger -p daemon.err -t mysqld_safe -i -t mysqld
 5649 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep mysql

heh.  So now that I've confused myself again, what do I do?  Run the killall
script again, then try to delete the socket?  Or is it time to yank
'everything'?  What all 'everything' do I yank?  Just the mysql stuff?  Or
should I just try to login first?

Also, I haven't yet added lampp (xampp) to start on startup yet, so it's not
running right now.

Thanks for the help guys.