[ale] setting up WP sandbox on Ubuntu...

Brian D. Pitts bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Sat Aug 26 20:46:48 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> on Sat Aug 26 2006 at 20:16 -0500 wrote:
>Right now when I try "sudo mysql -u root -p" (I only know what half of that
>means), I get "sudo: mysql: command not found".  How do I go about
>troubleshooting that?  I(t's sad, but I don't even know where to start now -
>I'm afraid too much googling has left me very confused......)

I would make sure that both the packages mysql-client and mysql-server are
installed; try installing them again with sudo apt-get install mysql-server
mysql client. If you didn't remove XAMPP, a copy of the mysql client may be
installed somewhere outside your path; you could try to locate it with the
command locate -r mysql$.
Sudo lets you run a command with root privileges. mysql is the command you're
trying to run, it lets you interact with your mysql server. -u root specifies
that you want to connect to the database as the mysql root user. -p means you
want to be prompted for the mysql root user's password.

-Brian