[ale] [please disregard former message] ^H or ^? shell problems

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 19:50:55 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 18:50 -0400, J. D. wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>      I have an interactive perl script and sometimes when I run it
> remotely
> and try to input data and need to backspace I end up with a ^H mostly
> but sometimes ^?. So when it occurs I can not use backspace and it
> is one key I can't do without yet. ;)
>      I have found this is not a problem with the script because when
> I type run cat by itself and press the backspace the same problem
> occurs.
> I have found that stty erase ^H will apparently fix the problem but I
> would
> like a safe method to do this globally that would work across the
> board.
>
> What do you folks think?

There are two ways to go about this, depending on what you can do:

     1. Fix the terminal emulator that you are using, by telling it to
        send whatever sequence is expected by the system in its default
        configuration, or
     2. Place the appropriate stty command in your login script.  If it
        only happens with a certain type of terminal, then you may want
        to attempt to detect what terminal that may be, and use stty
        appropriately.

Unfortunately, not all terminals are made alike.  :-/

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad