[ale] Monitor aspect ratio scaling

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 26 10:46:18 EDT 2006

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> Disclaimer: I've asked something similar before, and this isn't specifically
> a Linux question.
>
> I want to get an LCD monitor, but the standard resolution for 17" monitors
> is 1280x1024, which is not a 4:3 ratio.
>
> I'd like to find an LCD monitor which displays a 4:3 resolution by scaling
> it up to fill the screen but keeping the aspect ratio, which means thin black
> bars at the top and bottom.  (I know that scaling may produce a poor quality
> picture, but I'm thinking of older games that may give you no choice but to
> use a 4:3 resolution.)
>
> Which monitors do this?  (Either by default, or optionally, but I've given up
> on finding one that does it optionally.)

I would expect that you could make any monitor do this, based on my
experiences from my early days of Linux.  I can recall getting the
calculator out to calculate the modelines for the config file.  Most all
current gui's give you the option to build custom files.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin