[ale] Monitor aspect ratio scaling

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat Aug 26 00:56:50 EDT 2006

Disclaimer: I've asked something similar before, and this isn't specifically
a Linux question.

I want to get an LCD monitor, but the standard resolution for 17" monitors
is 1280x1024, which is not a 4:3 ratio.

I'd like to find an LCD monitor which displays a 4:3 resolution by scaling
it up to fill the screen but keeping the aspect ratio, which means thin black
bars at the top and bottom.  (I know that scaling may produce a poor quality
picture, but I'm thinking of older games that may give you no choice but to
use a 4:3 resolution.)

Which monitors do this?  (Either by default, or optionally, but I've given up
on finding one that does it optionally.)