[ale] From DSL to Fiber

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 24 09:04:02 EDT 2006

runman wrote:
> I am moving and have fiber strung to my new house.  I am not going to use
> BellSouth as my ISP provider but am either going to stay with Speedfactory
> (instant contract renewal - ick !) or go with someone else (Speakeasy and
> Atlantic Nexus are the front-runners here).  I have been told that BS has
> limited my download speed to 1.5 and that I will need to punch another hole
> in my house and run another pair of wires to a RJ45 jack (getting rid of
> PPPOE is the only bright side to this ordeal).

I was told that 1.5 is the max for fiber from BellSouth.  They sell
higher speeds, but I'm not sure how they deal with that in a fiber area.

Are you sure you'll be rid of pppoe?  Better check on that.  My
mother-in-law is on fiber and still has pppoe negotiation.

> Is this correct ?  While not crazy about this I am less crazy about paying
> Speedfactory's service tech to do it for a small fortune.  While I know how
> to put an RJ45 jack on Ethernet cable I am not too sure about fiber.
>
> And I am guessing my phones are all ok as they are ?
>
> As one can tell, I am totally ignorant of fiber and it's ramifications with
> regards to home networks.  However I am certain there are many on this list
> who are networking guru's with regards to fiber to the home.

By the time it gets to your house, the signal is ethernet.  That is the
way it is at my mother-in-laws.  All you should have to do is plug it
into a router.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin