[ale] [OT] bomb hoax

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Aug 17 12:31:02 EDT 2006

They're claiming they have equipment for checked luggage that can detect
trace amounts of explosives.  They don't explain why that equipment
couldn't be or isn't used for carry on luggage.

The Xrays stuff wasn't for toothpaste - it was for shoe bombs.  The
restrictions on carry on gels and liquids was because they don't have
(or can't use) the equipment that checks for explosives in carry ons.  I
gather from what was said in the allegedly foiled British plot that the
would be perps had other components to detonate the stuff so it wasn't
just the liquids.  This means even if its BS that they can detect the
stuff in checked baggage they would have a harder time trying to
detonate it from the passenger cabin.