[ale] RedHat Enterprise vs. FreeBSD

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 22:09:51 EDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Brian D. Pitts <bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu> wrote:

>  Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> writes:
>  Linux Snapshots are indeed implemented via LVM.  They do NOT depend on XFS.
>  In theory they are supported with several of the linux filesystem types, in
> particular ext3.
>

>  Does ext3 have an equivalent to xfs_freeze (http://tinyurl.com/kap93)?

Userspace is not needed to initiate a freeze in 2.6.x kernels.  Not
sure if the corresponiding VFS-lock patch ever made it into 2.4.x.

So even if your using xfs, don't call xfs_freeze with 2.6.x kernels.
At best it is redundant.  At worst there have been bugs that cause the
double freeze to lockup the xfs filesystem.

So, while ext3 does not have a userspace tool to initiate the freeze,
I'm almost positive the 2.6.x kernel will invoke the freeze internally
for ext3 as well as the other supported filesystems.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group