[ale] RedHat Enterprise vs. FreeBSD

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 17:10:35 EDT 2006

On 8/16/06, fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man <fd0man at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 13:51 -0400, Eichler, Paula J. (CDC/OCOO/ITSO)
> wrote:
>
> Can anyone point me to any comparison documentation on RedHat Enterprise
> and FreeBSD?  Firsthand experience is relevant, as well.  Specifically, I am
> interested in the advantage either one has over the other in installation,
> maintenance/patch management and ease of hardening.  Thanks ..pj
>
>  I have no first-hand experience with RHEL, however, I do have experience
> with FreeBSD and Linux in general, in many forms.  The best advantage that I
> can say for FreeBSD is the easy to use *file system snapshots*functionality, which eases the back-up process, providing
> on-line backups for UFS2 file systems in any arrangement,<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/snapshots.html>and is even integrated with the "dump" utility.  Linux supports file system
> snapshots as best as I can tell for the XFS file system, but only if LVM is
> used.  I have never used a system with LVM on it, nor the XFS file system,
> so somebody else would be better equipped to tell you more about that.
>
> Linux Snapshots are indeed implemented via LVM.  They do NOT depend on
XFS.  In theory they are supported with several of the linux filesystem
types, in particular ext3.

The trouble is that snapshots in the 2.4.x kernel were pretty close to rock
solid.

With the 2.6.x kernel I think device mapper (lvm) snapshots are still
experimental.  They definately were 6 months ago.

My personal experience is dm snapshots in a SuSE 10.1 distro.  I have a lot
of failed snapshots which means that partition goes a day without being
backed.  Sometimes I get numerous failures in a row, so I end up with
stretches of time with no backup.

Anyway, for this reason my more important fileservers are still 2.4.x based.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group