[ale] ATI GL drivers? (ubuntu+google earth?)

Brian D. Pitts bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Fri Aug 11 15:33:40 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> writes:

>  Just installed ubuntu on a Presario with a Radeon Mobility 9100IGP
>chipset.  My first run at ATI under linux in a VERY long time.  Anyone
>know what is the CORRECT way to get the accelerated drivers, etc
>working, preferably with Ubuntu?  I'd like to mess with Google Earth
>this weekend.

On a 9100, I believe Xorg's "radeon" driver will provide 3d
acceleration. It may already be loaded, try grep radeon /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to see. If that doesn't return anything, you probably need to edit
xorg.conf to replace the driver selection of "ati" with
"radeon" and then restart X with ctrl-shift-esc. Once you know
you're using "radeon", try glxinfo | grep direct to see whether
direct rendering is enabled.

If this doesn't work for you, try
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

-Brian