[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 01:55:02 EDT 2006

That's what's really cool about linux.  There's a distro for everybody.  :-)

Things that drive one person nuts might be something someone else can't
live without.  This is probably something which should be borne in mind
when evangelizing and "converting" wind-blows users.   Your favorite
distro, which you just hooked them up with, may not be what they want or
need- and this may be why a lot of people end up using wind-blows again
or converting to Mac.

I've just discovered a new distro- it's running on the machine I'm using
right now (well, one of them- thunderbird is actually resident on my
firewall box, not this one... ;-)).  It's called "dyne:bolic".   I don't
remember where I ran across it- it may have even been here.  But it's
tools and methodology give it great potential to be a "universal"
distro- that is to say a front-end which could let you install and try
as many different distros as you'd like by just dragging and dropping a
system image from a CD or some other source to a hard-drive.

Can you imagine being able to run redhat, slackware, debian- you name
it- so easily?  Surely, this is an install process that even the lamest
windblowz user could deal with?  It needs to be packaged with a way to
auto-magically and easily install grub, but other than that, you don't
really need to change the system your potential convert has on their
disk.  Just enough disk space for whatever image has been chosen.

This could be something the list could make a project out of- if there's
any interest.  I'm certainly going to toy with the concept in my leisure
time... :-)