[ale] new to linux, question about partitioning

Step random4444 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:55:24 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm (mostly) brand new to Linux, just installed Ubuntu on an old PC a few
days ago.  :)  I've been watching the list the last few days, and hope some
of you can offer your opinions:

-I have a 250 GB HD, right now it's all one partition (except for /boot and
/swap), as that's what someone recommended.  But I suspect I will soon want
to try other linux distros, and I know I'll want to play with postgres,
wordpress, as well as several server activities.  The main one is to have
the box act as a file server for my home network, so I can edit / use
pictures on my Mac, and share files between my window, mac, and linux
boxes.  Another big priority is to set up a script to regularly back up my
pictures, music, data, and even settings maybe.

Can I repartition on the fly later?  Do you recommend partitioning now,
before I get Ubuntu too set up?

Any other advice for a newbie?  Thanks all for your time.