[ale] Strange issue with NIC after installation

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 4 11:27:05 EDT 2006

After installing a new secondary NIC in a RHEL3 ES box this past weekend I
had a lot of trouble getting the OS to recognize it correctly.  Although the
MAC address of the NIC is correct in ifcfg-eth1 I keep receiving the
following error when attempting to ifup it:

ifup: Device eth1 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring.

Followed by:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1

The new NIC is a 3Com 3c905b 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 34) that is set to use
the 3c95x driver.  After the initial install of this NIC I had to remove it,
restart without it then replace it in a different slot again and run Kudzu
again to set it up.  Early this morning I had to reboot the box; the NIC
failed to come back up and I always get the different MAC address than
expected error when I try to start it manually using ifup.  The only change
made between when it was running and now is a different cable which is known
to be good (I replaced it because the old one was too short).

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf reports:

class: NETWORK

bus: PCI

detached: 0

device: eth1

driver: 3c59x

desc: "3Com Corporation|3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]"

network.hwaddr: 00:50:DA:C3:04:CD

vendorId: 10b7

deviceId: 9055

subVendorId: 10b7

subDeviceId: 9055

pciType: 1

pcibus:  0

pcidev:  9

pcifn:  0

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 shows:

# 3Com Corporation|3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]

DEVICE=eth1

ONBOOT=yes

BOOTPROTO=none

HWADDR=00:50:DA:C3:04:CD