[ale] Remote boot/install on old notebook, no floppy/CD/ethernet?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Aug 4 11:07:27 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 09:55, mute wonder wrote:
> *PC to PC*:  The notebook has a serial DB9, printer DB25, and one USB
> ports.  Would it be viable to connect it to another computer and
> remotely repartition the notebook, install stuff and so on?

Will not work.  I can think of know way you can configure linux to a
target disk via a serial cable.

> *Get removable drives*:  There's another connector labeled for an
> external floppy or CD drive.  It looks most like a SCSI VHDCI68, but
> that's a half-educated guess. I know little about SCSI, and have less
> experience with them.  So, any information regarding external SCSI
> floppy or CD drives would be good.

Too much trouble.  You'll need to look on ebay.

I would remove the drive and somehow get Linux on it.  Does this
notebook have a network port?

What I've done in the past was to copy the linux kernel and initrd off
an FC2 network install CD.  I then create a grub entry.  What this
allows me to do is select "Reinstall" at bootup.  This requires a
network interface to work.