[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:19:19 EDT 2006

Recently, the primary drive in my Linux machine developed a few
hundred bad sectors. I sent it to Seagate for replacement last week. I
should be getting the replacement drive soon. I was running SuSe 10.1
on the machine, upgraded from 10.0. I decided to use SuSe because, due
to classes, I don't really have time to keep up with Debian/Sid. I
liked 10.0 for what it was, an easy to maintain desktop Linux
distribution. After upgrading to 10.1, though, I have become less
satisfied with the distribution. The mangling of the package
management system, and having to use an alternate (Smart), really
turns me off of using SuSe for my personal machine again.

I plan on switching back to Debian/Sid once my new drive comes in.
However, if anyone can make a compelling argument for using Arch Linux
instead, I may give it a try. Keep in mind that I prefer Debian and
the "Debian Way". So, if you have experience with both, please speak
up. Or if you just really like Arch and can give a good overview of
the system, let's hear it.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/