[ale] Starting httpd at boot time

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 22:22:13 EDT 2006

Ryan Fish wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have the line
>
> 		/etc/init.d/httpd start
>
> in the file
>
> 		/etc/rc.d/rc.local

Why?  That is not necessary.

> but the web server will not start when the machine is booted.
>
> I am using fedora core 5.
>
> What do I need to do to cause the server to start at boot time?.

chkconfig --add httpd

then use 'chkconfig --list' to see what starts up under each runlevel.

If, apache still won't start, try manually running "/etc/init.d/httpd
start" to see if their are any errors.  Also, run "apachectl -t" to test
apache's config for any errors.  One note: apachectl won't tell you if
network IP/hosts specified in httpd.conf are active on the system, so
you will have to manually verify that.

hth,

-Jim P.