[ale] software configure script screwing up when trying to build rpm

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 1 21:14:04 EDT 2006

I am attempting to build some rpm packages for xmlrpc-c
and I am having issues with a configure script correctly
finding the systems ability to build shared libraries.

When the configure script is called from within the rpmbuild
process the system rpmmacros passes an option for:

--target=i586-suse-linux

and then the part of the configure script that checks for
"dynamic linker characteristics" and "if libtool supports
shared libraries" both return "no" and then the shared
libraires never get built. If I pass an option to the
rpmbuild program of "--target=foo" the shared libs get
built but I end up with rpms for the foo architcture.
If I unpack the source tar ball and run the configure
script by hand from the command line without a "--target"
specification the shared libs get built as well. If I pass the
command line execution of the configure script the same
"--target=i586-suse-linux" option it again fails to build
shared libs.

Any suggestions?