[ale] Can't obtain IP address for Linux Box

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Apr 29 10:59:58 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 10:33 -0400, Alan Stewart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install Realplayer10Gold on my Linux box last
> evening.  The install did not work, for whatever reason, and
> I had to reboot/reset the machine.  Well, when it came back
> up, my Linksys router (WRT55AG) did not see the machine.
> The network config panel showed the eth0 as inactive, and I
> could not activate it.  I tried deleting the card and
> starting over by adding it again anew  I've tried resetting
> the modem and router, tried rebooting the linux box and
> still no cigar (all in various and sundry combinations).
> The odd thing is that even when I boot into XP (this is a
> dual-boot machine), the connection wizard reports that it
> can't obtain an IP address.  Both fedora and XP indicate the
> ethernet card status is OK, but something is amiss.  Any
> ideas?

This sounds suspiciously of a failed Linksys router DHCP server.

On the Linux system, make sure the ifcfg-eth0 is showing ONBOOT=yes.
Remove the line pointing to the specific MAC address. It may be
incorrect and can cause the system to not do anything since it doesn't
match up with the real MAC address.

Double check /etc/modprobe.conf for a line that reads:
alias eth0 <module-name>

Then again, the card may have died.