[ale] Can't obtain IP address for Linux Box

Alan Stewart aeswx at uga.edu
Sat Apr 29 10:33:11 EDT 2006

Hi,

I tried to install Realplayer10Gold on my Linux box last
evening.  The install did not work, for whatever reason, and
I had to reboot/reset the machine.  Well, when it came back
up, my Linksys router (WRT55AG) did not see the machine.
The network config panel showed the eth0 as inactive, and I
could not activate it.  I tried deleting the card and
starting over by adding it again anew  I've tried resetting
the modem and router, tried rebooting the linux box and
still no cigar (all in various and sundry combinations).
The odd thing is that even when I boot into XP (this is a
dual-boot machine), the connection wizard reports that it
can't obtain an IP address.  Both fedora and XP indicate the
ethernet card status is OK, but something is amiss.  Any
ideas?

Thanks,...Alan

Alan E. Stewart, Ph. D.
Associate Professor
The University of Georgia
Department of Counseling & Human Development
402 Aderhold Hall
Athens, Georgia 30602-7142

Vox: 706.542.1263
Fax: 706.542.4130