[ale] Real puzzler

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 17:10:53 EDT 2006

On Tue April 25 2006 23:52, Ben Coleman wrote:

> Would running a 2.6 kernel have changed the Reiser FS enough to not be
> able to mount on 2.4?  If that's not the problem, I'm real puzzled.
>
> Real problem is that on the Slackware 10.2 system, I'd rather like to be
> able to go back to 2.4, as on 2.6 *something* (I'm suspecting the
> distributed.net personal proxy, as when it is killed, the bloating seems
> to stop) is bloating its memory usage enough to invoke the oom-killer.
> I'd like to be able to go back to 2.4 until I can figure out just what is
> going on memory-wise with 2.6.
>
> Ben

Ben,

First things first, you may want to check your system clock:

> Message was signed on 12-31-1969 18:59 with unknown key 0xAAD2044F.
> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

That's not a good thing.  :-)

As far of the rest of your problems, however, I haven't a clue.  I've been
using a 2.6 system for quite some time now, and I have had no kernel
problems with it, or problems with any software running on it, save for the
nVidia binary drivers (though, that's not the kernel's fault).

	- Mike