[ale] NNTPS "tunnelling"?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 16:47:50 EDT 2006

On Tue April 25 2006 15:36, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> #Stunnel client configuration file
>  client=yes
>  debug=7
>  output=stunnel.log
>
>  [SSLNews]
>  accept=119
>  connect=snews.com:563

Sweet!  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of stunnel -- that's really
good.  I've used it for inspecting things in the past, though I didn't
realize that it had an interface for transparently allowing applications to
connect to things that they don't support.  That's awesome!

Now, though... there is one thing that I cannot seem to figure out.

The man page for it makes *no* mention of how to use a config file to
control the operation.  I was able to get a command to work on the command
line to take care of what I need, though (stunnel -f -c -d 119 -r
remote_private_nntps_server:563)

If I can get it to read from the config file, there are two servers that I
would need to set up, and have the virtual tunnels exist for the lifetime
of the machine, which means I'll have to write shell scripts for my INIT
system, and that I don't mind.  But how do I get it to use the config file?

This site (http://mirrors.techiesabode.com/linuxgazette/107/odonovan.html)
says that you have to use 'stunnel config-file-name.conf' -- however, that
doesn't work.  I do this and I get:

fd0man at cinnamon:~$ sudo stunnel /etc/stunnel.conf
2006.04.25 16:47:20 LOG3[12368:3083437760]: Either -r, -l (or -L) option
must be used

Try 'stunnel -h' for more information.

fd0man at cinnamon:~$

So, I'm confused.  Any idea on that?  If not, that's fine... I can work it
without the config file, but it'd be nice.  Thanks again for the pointer!

	- Mike