[ale] NTP...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 01:09:02 EDT 2006

I've been searching for awhile now and am quite confused as to why I can't
get this to work.

I am trying to get my workstations time to sync with reliable clocks because
it drifts way too much when running.  I need it to sync my tasks with
others and I don't recall it being this difficult in the past.  I've
googled around quite a bit, and still no answers that work for me.

--
root at cinnamon:~# ntpdate -4 -v -v -v 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
1.north-america.pool.ntp.org 2.north-america.pool.ntp.org

When I try to set up KDE for automagically doing this for me, I get an
error:

--
Unable to contact time server: pool.ntp.org
--

I get this error message no matter what time server I put in the box, be it
a government time server, a North America time server, even the Evil

I definitely have Internet connectivity, so I know that isn't the issue...
and since I have no firewalls blocking outbound traffic, I don't think
that's the issue either.

I tried using 'ntpq' from what I was able to infer for try9ing to
troubleshoot to see if I could figure out if it was talking and what I got
was this:

root at cinnamon:~# ntpq -c pee time-a.nist.gov time-b.nist.gov time.nist.gov
time-nw.nist.gov
server                remote           refid      st t when poll reach
delay   offset  jitter
time-a.nist.gov  *LOCAL(0)        .ACTS.           0 l    3   64  377
0.000    0.000   0.000
server                remote           refid      st t when poll reach
delay   offset  jitter
time-b.nist.gov  *LOCAL(0)        .ACTS.           0 l    3   64  377
0.000    0.000   0.000
server                remote           refid      st t when poll reach
delay   offset  jitter
time.nist.gov    *LOCAL(0)        .ACTS.           0 l   39   64  377
0.000    0.000   0.000
server                remote           refid      st t when poll reach
delay   offset  jitter
time-nw.nist.gov *LOCAL(0)        .ACTS.           0 l   55   64  377
0.000    0.000   0.000
root at cinnamon:~#

I don't understand that output, however.  It looks as if it is saying that
my offset to each of these servers is 0.000; I can't hardly believe that, I
sync'd my clock *by hand* about two or three hours ago to another computer
on the Internet that I know has ntpd working.

Just in case it matters -- the machine is hooked up to a Linksys, which is
DMZ'd by a VoIP router in front of it.

Any ideas?

	- Mike