[ale] 1997 BIOS too old?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 21 19:11:54 EDT 2006

All of those warning are related to power management. A 10 year old
system didn't have APCI. It's easy enogh to turn it off at boot time.
Add the following to the boot string "apci=off" and it's off.

In short, it's not an issue to worry about as far as the power
management.

There shouldn't be an issue with the PS2 mouse as it is still well
supported. Serial mice are no longer supported by Fedora 5.

The sound card issue is due to some module changes that are not good for
your older card. I have issues with some older sound stuff as well. The
move is on to a newer, better designed and more stable sound system
(alsa). But older cards are just not going to get the support they need.
ISA stuff in particular is barely supported any more.

The secret is not use the 2.6 series kernels and stick with the 2.4
series.