[ale] [OT] Working for Bill

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 12:56:34 EDT 2006

Freedom of speech allows you the protection to say what you will without
interference from government or individuals, as written in the
Constitution.  It does not give you protection from potential repurcussions
of that speech from those in the community around you.  Otherwise, no one
would ever be allowed to critique ANY expressed idea, no matter the
motivation.

At the same time, if your speech is the direct cause of action that is
illegal, you can be pursued by government for inciting those actions.

I'm tired of hearing that people have a right to say whatever they want and
have no consequences.  EVERY action has consequences.  I have a right to
counter-protest another group's protest, but as long as we're both obeying
the law, I have to recognize that they too have a right to speak.  Neither
myself nor the group have the right to not be offended.

In this case, an employee speaking out against the leadership of his
employer is risking their employment.  This should not be a surprise to
anyone.  Speaking out was an action they chose to take.  If I was running a
business, I should have the right to fire that person for that.  I don't
have the right to fire them because of qualities that are undeniably a part
of their existence (color, sex, age).  But I should always retain the right
to fire them for their inappropriate behavior, particularly when such
behavior is known to be inappropriate by all parties.

In the case of whistleblowing, there is an appropriateness of such speech
because the employee owes not just the company a level of responsibility,
but the community within which the company and employee reside.  There are
also channels with regulators which you open to do that, rather than just
going to the public and decrying the problem.  Sure, there are exceptional
circumstances to this, because let's face it, no society is perfect, and we
can't think of every possible action (legal or otherwise) that may occur.
But we've got quite a few appropriate outlets for the majority of the
wrongdoing that goes on in boardrooms as well as on the street.

It would be different if the company denied my right to the speech at all.
That's illegal.  I still retain the freedom to speak, but it comes with a
responsibility of dealing with the repurcussions of my speech.

bnm