[ale] Things are looking good for Saturday's Build-In

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 12:06:53 EDT 2006

Hey Calvin,

I'm not exactly certain what you mean by a "specific inquiries for a
build."  If you mean a specific request to build a machine bases on X
distro, using Y hardware -- the answer is no. However, there is a project
which utilizes a network install and machines with specific hardware.

Alternatively, If you mean "build" as short for "Build-In" then the answer
is that the Build-In sprung-up as the result of ALE Central's meeting on the
topic of MythTV.  The idea was floated on this board -- support sprang from
there.

Attendance will be difficult to estimate -- I've informed several different
types of groups regarding the event: Emory Law Students (because of the
copywright, free speech, fair use issues), posted fliers around GA Tech, and
I am in the process of posting to the Atlanta Hobby Robotics Club. My guess
is that attendance will range from a low of 4 to a high of 30.

As for tv source -- the origins of a EFF Build-In is to use Over the Air
signal and High Definition capture cards (pcHDTV HD2000 or 3000) cards.  The
expansive porch adjacent to the room and Emory's location should allow for
OTA reception. We are also expecting to use a PVR box (or two) to distribute
RF signal for the testing of the MythTV Machines -- as the room does not
have Cable/Satellite reception.  (I investigated stretching a cable to the
room, but it would be too much of an imposition upon Emory).