[ale] flac -> ogg ?

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Fri Apr 21 10:35:26 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I have some songs I ripped into flac which play fine at home but I want
> to convert them to mp3 for my streaming player.  Other than using
> something like the xmms diskwriter option, anyone know a commandline
> util, preferably one I can pipe into an ogg encoder?

oggenc can directly read flac input, if you compile it right, and produce
ogg vorbis output from it

If not, though,

flac -c -d foo.flac | oggenc

(BTW, ogg's a container format -- you're probably wanting vorbis. If you
just want oggs of any sort and don't care about how it's encoded, you can
produce flac wrapped in ogg directly using flac)

later,
chris