[ale] rar file, can anything read it on Linux?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:43:14 EDT 2006

On 4/19/06, William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 April 2006 08:58 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Dow Hurst wrote:
> > >snip
> > > man -k convert
> >
> > This is the thing I love about this list and Linux. I've been doing
> > UNIX for over 20 years and yet I'm still learning. I never knew about
> > the -k option to man.
>
> Slightly less than 4 years, so it naturally was new to me too. Funny but
> less than a week later I see it on /.
> http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=183505&cid=15156699
>
> Wonder if he is one of us?
> --
> William

I doubt it.  man -k has been around for at least a decade and likely longer.

In the late 80's I used to use apropos, but I think man -k is
basically the same thing.

One nice thing about most Linux distro's is that the DB needed for man
-k to work is part of the basic install.

With the UNIX distro's I've worked with you had to run a command to
build the DB prior to using man -k.  They did that because the DB is
fairly large and disk space used to be too valuable to assume a user
wanted it.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer