[ale] Greetings and introduction

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Apr 18 21:15:41 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 02:59, David Nixon wrote:
> I am an avid gamer/geek that has been firmly entrenched in the windows
> world for eons.  I tend to upgrade constantly and I game quite a bit,
> and so always had trouble with Linux.  I have spent more than $1000 on
> various distros, but in the end have always been forced back to the
> Mother Ship due to an incompatability, lack of driver support, or the
> inability to play a particular game.  I tried dual-booting, but hate
> maintaining two OS's.
>
> I have dabbled with Linux for many years, learned some things, had some
> fun, but never got to the point that I could stay with it full time.
> Off the top of my head, I have used(usually multiple version numbers):

I'm curious how you (or anyone) could manage to spend $1000 on Linux distros
when most can be downloaded for free or can be ordered on CD sets for 5 to 25
dollars.  My own explorations of dozens of Linux distros has only cost me
about $90 in blank CD's and DVD's plus $30 spent on pre-packaged sets. Even
the couple of retail "boxed set" distros like Xandros, Suse and Mandriva are
under $200. Still, giving the benefit of the doubt that this isn't a troll...

Linux excels at most all the mainstream arenas of computing. A number of
modern distros offer very capable choices for handling all the common
desktop, communication, network, office and amusement applications that
majority of people find themselves regularly using a computer for. But
computers are nothing if not versatile, so there a million ways to use
computer technology and no single operating environment can address all of
them with equal ability.  With any system there will be niche interests and
areas that could be addressed better, even with the diversity of Open
Source. For instance, the absolute best media production systems on the planet
right now are all Mac OSeX.

The worst systems and software for just about any computer application are the
ones that come from Micro$haft. For starters, the whole company is incapable
of surviving without relying on the criminally extortionary business
practices for which they've been convicted 3 times in federal court (yet
continue to employ). Compared to Open Source systems and software, they have
prooven themselves generally incompetent at network server applications and
system security.  Most importantly, they really, truly and totally suck at
respecting the privacy and fair use rights of their users, which means their
systems and software should be avoided and eschewed across the board without
further question. It is impossible for M$ products to ever offer enough
benefit to offset their blatant, arrogant abuses of their users.

About the only excuse for having an M$ platform is bleeding edge gaming, since
the unearned market dominance of these corporate criminals means that short
term greed drives the bleeding edge hardware suppliers and game writers to
feed at the big pigs' trough and neglect the healthier, sustainable choices.

Even there, I'd suggest that if you're into bleeding edge gaming, you'd be a
lot better off buying a PS2 and converting your PC to Linux.  Ubuntu and
Fedora are good choices of well supported free distros, while Mandriva and
Suse provide commercial support and proprietary license access for a modest
price. If you have more of a custom purpose system in mind, there are
literally hundreds of specialized (and free) Linux distros to choose from,
most of which are reviewed and referenced at DistroWatch.org. If you enjoy
geeking as much as gaming, then you need to do yourself the favor of dumping
windblows.

peace
aaron

[snip]