[ale] [Gimp-user] printing landscape on 3x5 cards

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Apr 17 21:14:27 EDT 2006

David Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:37:17 -0400 Jim Philips
> <briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> I have some 3x5 templates in .png format that I downloaded. I want
>> to print them out in landscape format, because if I print them as
>> portrait my printer bracket won't come in tight enough to hold the
>> card in place. So, I open the .png in Gimp and flip it 90 degrees
>> and save it. I then try to print it from Gimp, with 3x5 specified
>> as the paper size. What gets printed is a long string of raw
>> Postscript and nothing else. I have to kill the print job. I'm
>> using Gimp 2.2.10 with CUPS 1.1.23 on a Slackware box. Any clues as
>> to what is wrong? Am I using a crappy print driver? The printer is
>> an Epson C-62 inkjet. It prints without problems otherwise, even
>> some 3x5 cards in landscape. But those are from a Web page where
>> formatting is enforced by CSS.
>
> I believe you will need to pick "setup printer" from the print dialog
> and pick the type of printer you are using.  This is what did the
> trick for me.

One thing I recall about the GIMP is that it wants a non compressed ppd
file.  What I've had to do is go to the directory where they exist and
unpack the file there.  Make sure you retain the gunzipped version
though because other applications look for it.  For example, for my
Minolta laser I have the following ppd files:

/usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd.gz

You set this in the setup printer dialog of GIMP David has mentioned.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin